According to Smashing Magazine, user experience (UX) is “how a person feels when interfacing with a system.” Though formal, Smashing’s definition speaks to the core of UX, which describes how an item like a website, app, program, or virtually anything digital can cause us to feel some type of emotion while we are using it.
Why UX Matters:
The quality of the UX on your app can greatly impact your:
- Retention rate/user loyalty
- Time in app
- Daily revenue
- Earnings potential and almost every vital monetization metric!
Factors that Cause Good/Poor UX:
Anything from load time, to layout, to even the background colors of your app can impact your UX. For example, a seemingly small decision like adding a new user notification in your app can impact your UX.
Essentially, if your app is geared towards the needs of your users, full of quality content, and loads quickly, you typically will have a good UX. However, if you need some more guidelines, check out Tips For Creating A User Friendly Mobile App Design from Design your way.
How Your Current Ads May Be Leading to a Poor UX:
Though ads have become a necessity to monetize F2P apps and games, users are becoming more frustrated with ads each day. A recent study by PageFair and Adobe showed that there are now 198 million active adblock users around the world. Thus, if you are using banner, in-text, interstitial, or other traditional in-app ads, you may be creating a pain point with your users.
A few of the many ways that traditional in-app ads can cause poor app UX include:
- Over Saturation: Too many ads on your app impacts engagement and hurts navigation.
- Distrust: Whether it’s because your ads don’t relate, make exaggerated claims, or generally appear “spammy,” chances are your current UX could be suffering as most users don’t trust traditional ads.
- Undesired: Serving too many, or unrequested, ads to users can disrupt their experience. Multiple studies have shown the negative impact of unwanted ads, including Bannersnack’s recent report which showed that most users click ads just to get rid of them.
Moving Beyond Traditional In-Apps Ads to Improve UX:
Though we know traditional in-app ads can be effective, at Adscend Media we’re all about the user. Therefore, our Rewarded Ad solutions (Offer Wall and Rewarded Video) are designed to provide real value to the user, helping you earn more while dramatically increasing your UX.
A few of the many ways that our Rewarded Ads can improve your UX:
- Letting Users Opt-In to Receive Ads: We don’t believe in serving ads to users if they don’t request them. Thus, our solutions give users a choice to interact with ads in order to receive your premium in-app or in-game items, significantly increasing their satisfaction with your ads.
- Eliminating Price as a Factor: Recent studies like this one show that less than 5% of users make in-app purchases. Our solutions allow your users to obtain premium in-app or in-game items without payment, giving your users more access without having to spend a dime.
- Letting Users Experience More of Your App: There is a reason why users downloaded your app–they’re interested! Our solutions improve your UX by rewarding users with deeper access to your app, allowing them to enjoy your virtual currency, character and site upgrades, and other virtual rewards without having to spend money.
- Helping Users Reach New Heights: Stuck on a tough level? Need more credits to purchase a premium feature? No problem! Our Rewarded Ads allow you to provide valuable in-app or in-game items to users when they need them most (and without requiring payment). Talk about hero UX!
- Providing More Options to Earn: To earn valuable virtual in-app or in-game items, our Offer Wall lets users choose to interact with ads in whichever format that is most convenient to them, including installing mobile apps, completing short surveys, or watching thirty-second videos.
Want to Improve Your UX? Let’s Chat!
We’re always happy to help answer your UX questions, drop a comment below and we would be happy to get back to you.
Tony Cohn is a marketing manager with Adscend Media, a leading rewards-based advertising ad platform for mobile apps and games. When not at work, Tony enjoys watching New York Mets baseball, smoking cigars, and running. Originally from the Bay Area, Tony currently resides in Sacramento, CA.
You can try Rewarded Ads today by joining Adscend Media.