The Mobile App Promotion Market Map [INFOGRAPHIC]
Meeting the App Marketing Challenge
Distribution is the single biggest challenge facing mobile app and game developers and publishers. With over a million other apps to choose from it’s hard to break out. However, there’s a whole new breed of mobile app marketing services and platforms emerging to help solve the discovery problem for consumers and enable apps to reach their target audience. We’ve carried out extensive research in this exciting new market sector and identified a number of emerging categories:
- App Promotion Networks – these platforms enable cross promotion and the exchange of ads and installs between developers as well as offering paid-for acquisition options, the major players here such as Appflood are becoming bigger than some of the leading mobile ad networks …
- Mobile Ad Buying – with over 150 mobile ad networks buying mobile advertising to promote an app is hard so a load of new demand-side platforms and media buyers have emerged to make things easier
- App Discovery Apps – the most well known of these services is App Gratis, which recently raised $14m in funding, but App Discovery Apps are forming a mobile marketing channel in their own right with a range of other similar services emerging – check out our piece “Should You Make Your App Free for a Day” for more
- App Promotion Agencies – many traditional marketing agencies simply don’t have the specialist skills necessary to manage an app promotion campaign – thankfully there’s a number of new agencies which are focusing on this area now
- Appstores – outside of the itunes and Google Play there are many other mobile appstores that can provide distribution including the likes of Amazon and a plethora of Android-focused stores
- App review sites – sites that provide reviews of apps and games is another unique ‘app media’ channel, and there’s a vast range of sites offering both free and paid reviews as well as ‘wire services’ emerging to do bulk submissions – you can find out more from our Developers Guide to Getting your App Reviewed
- App tracking – it’s no use doing lots of app marketing if you can’t track what’s happening and where the installs are coming from – despite the furore over UDID there’s now a range of solutions in the market that are doing the job and increasingly moving beyond install tracking to assessing post-install behaviours such as usage and revenue
The market map below shows these categories and the major players within them. Use it to help find new suppliers or understand the competitive environment. You can download the market-map here from dropbox in multiple formats. If you have a service that you think should be added to the map then get in touch.
Help us spread the word about the growth of mobile app promotion services by tweeting this market map:
- “The Mobile App Promotion Market Map” – >>Tweet this<<
For more mobile app promotion resources check out our directory of mobile app marketing services.